As a somewhat critical member of the Church, I am occasionally asked what do I like about the Church; why do I keep going. While not an exhaustive list, here are some of the things I like:
- Scouting program
- Members are generally honest, sociable, and have a sense of humor.
- Flexibility in doctrine and practices, so we’re not stuck with polygamy, priesthood ban, or the traveling CES sideshow of “Know Your Religion” forever.
- Word of Wisdom
- Emphasis on chastity and modesty (even if some people go a little overboard. T-shirts and halter tops are mutually exclusive fashion items, people.)
- Prophet-selection process designed so even the nuttiest apostle has their quirky views on politics or doctrine worn down by the advancing years.
- Church building program gives tithing members nice chapels, Temples, and shopping malls to enjoy.
- And of course, I met my beautiful wife through Church related activities, so to whatever degree I can give credit to the Church for that, it’s a big +.